From Pedro Gil to the streets of Espana to the halls leading to the Intensive Care Unit

Thursday, December 28, 2006

"I smell therefore i am"

October 5 2001

Whenever christmas season approaches, i smell it. Most people see it, a handful hear it, some feel it , but only a few smell it. I know because whenever i tell this to my friends, they would give me this weird "what-are-you-talking-about-look". I don't know why they don't smell it. No, i don't have some sort of lesion in the brain.I mean take a sniff, and you will smell it! I really can't describe the smell. But i can describe what i feel when i smell it.

It is like everything is okay. It is like every stress you've put up with pales in comparison when you think about what happened 2000 years ago in a dirty manger. It is being reminded of who you are and how special you are in God's eyes. It is listening to a music only you can hear. It is dancing to a tune that only the stars could beat. It is knowing that one's future is secure not because we know what it holds for us, but because we know who holds it for us. It is like the feeling one gets on a rainy day with a cup of hot chocolate on your side, only a hundred times better. It is listening to your soul. It simplifies things. Helps you focus on things that really matter.

I smell Christmas, as ridiculous as it may sound, i smell it. Despite the recent tragedies, i still smell good tidings. And thank God, i still smell it... I smell, therefore i am.

* *

No comments: