From Pedro Gil to the streets of Espana to the halls leading to the Intensive Care Unit

Thursday, December 28, 2006

"Second Chances"

Date: 25 Nov, 2001


I went out with a couple of high school friends of mine last Saturday night. A friend of mine, Allan, is going away to Korea and well, he is making the most of his “remaining days” here in the Philippines. Back in junior high , Allan was my seatmate. Unlike guys his age,he was the perfect gentleman. (Until now he still is…) He is always caring and polite, kinda reminds me of Brendan Fraiser in Blast from the Past. The type of guy who would open doors for women but at the same time would never be accused of being a chauvinist. Anyhoo, Allan and I were never really close. Ironically, we became good friends during college when Yna, my so-called college best friend, became Allan’s girlfriend. Being the common denominator, the role of “love probelem listener” between the two lovebirds was handed to me, a role i did not ask for, but nonetheless, a role I happily took. They had something back then. Something that made me believe in fairy tale romances. I was happy for Yna. Finally, after a series of relationships (and I mean seeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss) , here she was with Allan. The love of her life, or so she claimed. Allan was intoxicated with Yna. Yna with Allan. Unfortunately their relationship came to an abrupt end when Yna did something even I could not understand. I still remember Allan calling me up late one night and asking me “Why? Why? Why”, to which I replied “I don’t know, I don’t know, I don’t know”. I pitied Allan then. If only I knew how to drive, I would have gone up to Allan’s place and tried to console him.

Weeks later, Yna apologized to me and told me the truth behind the mystery. I was her friend, and even though I felt betrayed by her confession, I could only say that everything is gonna be okay and that no matter what, I would still be her friend. As for Allan, he was too scarred to go back to Yna. As for Yna, she continued to love Allan, but of course she entered another relationship and another and another. Well, that was a few years ago.

***

When I came to the restaurant, I saw Allan with a very beautiful girl sitting beside her. She kinda looked like Yna. Anyhoo, I had to smile. Allan looked happy and content. The girl was charming and had a nice aura. She looked very much in love with Allan too. What is important is the fact that they looked happy together. So Allan recovered from his fairy tale disaster… I am glad that he did. Allan is a great guy. He deserves to be happy.

As for Yna, well she is into her nth relationship. She is still hung up on Allan. I advised her to stop entering into a series of relationships and find where her true happiness lies. Completeness is something she should achieve by herself… I don’t think she will ever take my advice. I hope she does, one day. For her sake.

No comments: