From Pedro Gil to the streets of Espana to the halls leading to the Intensive Care Unit

Thursday, December 28, 2006

"Of Brad Pitt, Cindy Crawford and Woody Allen"



Date: 1 Aug, 2001


I have this friend, Andy, who really likes a clerk (that's a fourth year medical student). Anyways, this clerk's name is Louie. Every time we pass by this clerk, Andy's (a girl) heart melts. She would alway look forward for this nanosecond encounters. It is during these encounters that the hospital seems to convert into the most romantic place known to Andy.
I don't really know if Louie knows Andy's name, let alone know her existence... Does he know that he has a sympathomimetic effect on my friend? That everytime he flashes that smile of his, he is in danger of giving my friend a cardiac arrest?
My friend is no Cindy Crawford. But I'll bet you that Louie would be lucky if he could get Andy to be his girl... Andy's one of the most loveable person I have ever met. The problem with society is that we have labelled people. If you look like this, then you must be like this... If you look like a duck, talk like a duck, walk like a duck, then you must be a duck... Good looking people should be with good looking people... At least that is what we are made to believe. I am not saying that I am above this system, I am actually prone to conceding with this idea... But it is just not right. I bet it would be simpler if everyone's outer appearance would reflect their inner nature... You selfish? That's another acne for you... You help the poor? Ah, that's clear skin for you... But it is so not the case.
Who started the concept of good looking? If every male looked like Brad Pitt and only one male looked like Woody Allen (no offense meant), would woody Allen be the most handsome person that ever lived?


We have to dig deeper, but the problem is, once we find that the superficial is way okay, we are afraid to look deeper. Prince Charming may be your evil stepmother in disguise. Maybe that is why a crush is so different from love. A crush is someone you "like" because of, a loved one is someone you "like" despite of...

No comments: